Apr 30, 2013

CYA Conference Competition

Ok, I supposed I can finally share this now... 
A few weeks ago I decided to take part in the competition held every year in occasion of the CYA Conference, Children's Young Adult Writers and Illustrators Conference.

Unfortunately I won't be able to attend the event which will be held at the beginning of June in Brisbane, however I decided to create some work and enter the competition. 

Aimed to both published and unpublished illustrators, the entrants are required to illustrate up to three spreads of one of the two proposed stories. 

The story I've chosen is called "Slowly, slowly catch a monkey!" written by Tina Marie Clark.

I must say it was incredibly challenging for me at the beginning because for a long time I didn't have a clue of what to draw. 
Usually, as soon as I read a text, there's already a stream of images going thru my mind. 
This time I really didn't have any idea at all. PANIC!
This was probably because I was very unfamiliar with the theme and the settings of the story: 
an African boy who's too young to go to school spent his days with his grandfather who teach him how to catch a monkey. 

After thinking and researching, this is what I've come up with. 




The competition's results will be revealed in June. Fingers crossed for me! 
More info about the competition and conference can be found on the website.

No comments:

Post a Comment